I Can’t Wait to Retire

Retirement - pension delay, sticky note on notice board

“If income wasn’t a factor, how important would it be for you to keep working?” As reported in the March issue of Zoomer magazine (everythingzoomer.com), this question was asked to readers as part of their “Zoomer Census”. Perhaps surprisingly, 71% of respondents chose “I can’t wait to retire”, with the remaining 29% selecting “If I slow down, I’ll die”. I say “surprisingly” because the media has been telling us that more and more people are postponing retirement – or should do so – because “work” challenges them mentally.  Could it be that the real reason for postponement is a financial one? Let’s look at the smaller group first, those who fear slowing down. We often hear this comment from business owners or professionals. Our guess is that this group has worked hard […]

Read More

Retiring soon? Are there hidden dollars in your insurance programme?

Unlocked padlock,wallet and money

Over the years most Canadians have bought various types of individual life, critical illness, or disability insurance, or they’ve participated in a plan with their employer that had some or all of these benefits. Some do it out of love for their families, some to protect their income or insure a debt, others as an “investment”.  But whatever the reason, the role of insurance over the years hasn’t changed – it provides dollars on a timely basis when needed most. Die too soon, live too long, or become disabled along the way – there’s a type of insurance that solves those needs. If you’re retiring in the next year or two, now is a good time to sit down with your life insurance agent or your Certified Financial Planner® Professional […]

Read More